In an effort to get healthier and lose some weight, my husband and I have really tried to cut way back on processed carbs, like bread, pasta, rice etc. We still eat carbs, just try to get them from whole foods more, like fruits and veggies and to be able to indulge in our favourite treats (for him, beer and for me, wine and chocolate). My husband has lost over 40 lbs and has kept it off for almost 6 months and counting! I was able to lose about 10 lbs and I’m finding it much easier to maintain so it has become our new lifestyle.
Tired of lettuce based salads I decided to do a take on the traditional Niçoise Salad. I love to make it for lunch for myself or even as a dinner for my husband and I (I just beef it up by adding an extra hard-boiled egg). This salad also is delicious as a left over, so I will often make a double portion to keep for the next day.
1 bunch of green beans (approximately 2 fist-fulls)
1 large tomato, medium diced
10-15 olives (I like using a mixture of green and black olives
1 can of tuna
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Sea salt & pepper
¼ C crumbled feta cheese
1-2 hard-boiled eggs , quartered
- Wash and trim green beans. Cook by throwing into boiling water or steam for 2 or 3 minutes, so that they are still firm and crispy. Drain and place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add chopped tomatoes, olives, can of tuna (I like pole and line caught tuna). Toss.
- Pour over olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper, then toss again.
- Add crumbled feta and fold in gently.
- Plate the salad on to two plates and top with hard-boiled egg. I like to use a whole egg per person if I am serving this as a dinner and ½ an egg per person if serving it as a lunch.